Sub Title

The very purpose of existence is to reconcile the glowing opinion we hold of ourselves with the appalling things that other people think about us.

Quentin Crisp

Saturday, May 23, 2009

First Memorial Day home.

This is my first Memorial Day home, not working.  Not dealing with the madness that invades this quiet corner of the world.  I know most people like to have fun, but I’m at a stage in my life when avoiding the parties, the bars and the workplace is the most beneficial for me.  My health will not allow it anymore.  Not to say I’ve got one foot in the grave.  However, so many years have passed living with AIDS and bi-polar as well as being a cancer survivor; well it’s taking it’s toll.  I’ve had several friends last year tell me that my plans to go back on disability are wrong.  That I’m giving up.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  For me, giving up is allowing my mind and body to become sickened by work stress, booze and a totally rude and crazy boss.  I’ve been told that I’ll just be living off the system.  To them I say: we all live off of something.  I used to live off of the tips given by those who often times spent good money on shitty food.  I have no guilt going back on disability.  I gave it my best.  Now it’s time to take care of myself.  No booze, no late night craziness.  That much I have given up!

No comments:

Post a Comment